It’s true that running is one of the cheapest sports out there. A good pair of shoes are all you really need to get started. But once you get into it, there’s a whole world of products, gear, and stuff that sure make life easier for one reason or another.
My favorite things right now:
1) My Asics Gel Kayano 18’s. These shoes are amazing! Neutral with a little bit of cushion and a roomy toe box, I can’t believe how much better I feel since I’ve started running in them. Getting fitted/typed for shoes at a running store is one of the best things I’ve ever done.
2) Balega running socks. I know, I know… running socks? These things are amazing! Despite the great shoes I was still getting blisters on my toes. A friend of mine who’s a serious runner sent me a pair of these to try and I was hooked! They have a good bit of cushioning but somehow manage to wick all the sweat away. Blisters were gone!
3) My CamelBak Delaney Race belt has been a godsend! I know some people hate running with belts but this thing is great. Most times, I don’t even notice it’s on. It’s got a 24oz water bottle, 2 flasks for gel, and a zippered front for keys/phone/whatever. It comes in handy when I’m running on the trails.
4) Sport Beans by JellyBelly. They’re a 1000x better tasting than Gu and so much easier to digest! I’ve started using them at the hour mark for my long runs and they give me a nice little boost to finish.
5) C9 by Champion clothing and hats. I had a few serious runners recommend Champion’s clothing line for target. Great workout clothes at great prices! They hold up well and the moisture wicking is great. I got the hat for 75% off (cost me like $4) and life is so much better without sweat running down my face anymore.
It’s the little things in life that are making this running stuff more manageable and even enjoyable! I’d love suggestions for any other gear I don’t know about. At the end of the day, I need every little advantage I can get!! 🙂